shopgallerynewsaboutcontact

Thursday, April 5, 2012

For the Love of Books

This week's Spoonflower fabric design contest theme is 'Books'. This was a tough one for me because I love books and made a living designing them for almost 20 years, so there were endless possibilities... Aside from the books themselves, old or new, borrowed or blue--what can be learned from them, how they look, how they feel, how they smell--I find that books are incredible for decorating. You will find my Pinterest 'decorate' board chock full of photos of floor-to-ceiling bookshelves, you know, the kind that require a ladder to get to the upper shelves. Incredible.

So I decided to take photos of the bookshelves around our home, so I could recreate some of the 'displays' made with books, and have actual spine references, so the books looked 'authentic' (whatever that is). I limited myself to a palette of six rather seventies-ish colors (mod 1970s, a la Terence Conran), so the final design came out very stylized, yet looks a bit realistic from far away. And the bookshelves can go on and on, depending on the yardage.

If you like the design, you can vote for it in this week's contest by clicking here and following the instructions on the right side of the page. You can vote for as many designs as you like, and I'm guessing there will be a lot of great entries!

2 comments:

Littletree Designs // Rebecca said...

Love it, I voted for you over on Spoonflower x

penny candy handmade said...

Thanks so much, Rebecca!!!

Post a Comment

Next Previous Home